This unit of competency covers the skills and knowledge required to operate and maintain breathing apparatus and equipment in an irrespirable atmosphere, as defined by the Australian Standard AS/NZS 1715:2009 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment.
MSMWHS216 – Operate breathing apparatus
This course covers the skills and knowledge required to operate and maintain breathing apparatus and equipment in an irrespirable atmosphere, as defined by the Australian Standard AS/NZS 1715:2009 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment.
This course applies to operators who are required to wear breathing apparatus because they are working:
- in a confined space
- with hazardous gases/vapours
- in an oxygen deficient atmosphere
- in other situations requiring the wearing of breathing apparatus.
Operators may also be required to wear breathing apparatus in emergency situations, however, this is not the prime focus of this unit.
This course applies to an individual working alone or as part of a team or group and working in liaison with other shift team members and the control room operator, as appropriate.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course, however, you must possess basic literacy and numeracy skills. You may be required to complete a Language, Literacy, and Numeracy (LLN) indicator prior to enrolling.
Inspect breathing apparatus for immediate use in accordance with procedures
Report/record faulty or damaged equipment in accordance with procedures
Identify, monitor and control hazards in accordance with the procedures
Establish and maintain communication with appropriate personnel throughout the activity
Use breathing apparatus for the required activities in accordance with procedures
Monitor remaining working time available and return to a respirable atmosphere as required
Implement entrapment procedures in accordance with procedures
Maintain personal safety at all times
Close down breathing apparatus set
Remove breathing apparatus set
Undertake after-use cleaning and maintenance of breathing apparatus
Make equipment ready for operational use
If you have any concerns regarding the literacy or numeracy requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
Your Training OptionsWe conduct all our courses on a regular basis. Click the enquire button and enter your preferred dates and we will get back to with dates that suit you.
- Funding – This course may or may not be subsidised by government funding or industry incentives. Some courses as low as $50 (your contribution) Enquire NOW to see if you are eligible for any funding options available (for some courses only) – we are a registered RTO for various State & Federal Funding including UserChoice, Certificate 3 Guarantee, CSQ, Skilling Queenslanders for Work, Aboriginal Responsive Skilling Grants or BERT
- Face to Face
- RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning)
- We can come to you
- Group bookings
- Bundle packages available